Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"Voices from Hell "

“Voices From Hell “

Hmmmm…so u are a death metal purist ....pain is what u’ve felt through out
Darkness is what u ensemble ,devil is whom u pray. U r a pissed-off, alienated guy who is purposefully dwelling on the uglier side of life, or else are trying to temporarily escape it by achieving some sort of catharsis.

What voice do u associate more with ……

Growling ….Which lets out the animal venom filled deep inside(which u can relate to ) .
OR
Clean Singing …..seemingly pussy way of letting out ur hatred .Why not ‘ Justin Timberlake’ if u want to hear a wuss sing , right ??

I myself prefer the type of singing which intermixes melodic clean singing
With fearsome death metal growling …..a style popularised by mother
Of all death metal bands OPETH …

Despite cries of protests from thousands of fans all around…Opeth pours
Huge doses of clean singing into their songs . ..
Nnow its upto us fans to perceive it the way we want it to .

Is clean singing an irritating addon to ur fine master piece ....or is it that, one fails to fathom the relevance of the piece or worst still , ‘understand the song’ .


To illustrate what I mean ….. I have chosen the song ‘Bleak’ by Opeth as my thesis .

I will try to explain my reason as to why Opeth combines both the forms of Vocal in this song .

I will try and project the meaning of this song ( as I see it ) along the way …..

Do Clean voice telecast the same message as growling do ?

My endeavour is to prove whether clean singing is justifiable for such a master black metal band .


Alrite ….Here is how I see it …..

What goes on this song is a two way conversation
Between a troubled , languished human and the DEVIL


Devil is frustrated as the daylight is fast approaching and
He is still not able to lure his prey ….and he is frustrated with
This futile attempt .Frustrated as he may be Mr .Devil also feels the
rush of task at hand and wants to go for the Kill …

Lines …..
Deep Growling voice ..signifies devils’s dark intentions .

“BeatingHeart still beating for the cause
FeedingSoul still feeding from the loss
AchingLimbs are aching from the rush
FadingYou are fading from my sight

Break of morning, coldness lingers on
Shroud me into nightmares of the sun

MovingI am moving closer to your side
LuringYou are luring me into the night
CryingWho is crying for you here
DyingI am dying fast inside your tears

Plunging towards bereavement faster yet
Clearing thoughts, my mind is set”





“exemplified by the stances like who is crying for u here …”



“Prey is singing ……” he is scared
suspicious about the movements of devil .

clean singing …..

Devious movements in your eyes
Moved me from relief
Breath comes out white clouds with your lies
And filters through meYou're close to the final word
You're staring right past me in dismay
A liquid seeps from your chestAnd drains me away

Mist ripples round your thin white neck
And draws me a lineCold fingers mark this dying wreck
This moment is mine

“ Devil changes his tone “ to attract his prey further (he is actually talking to the prey)
clean singing is apt for devils voice disguise

Help me cure you
Atone for all you've done
Help me leave you
As all the days are gone

“Doesn’t work …prey is still scared “Music builds the tension further …..excitement .
prey repeating his lines .

Guitaring at this stage is simply mindblowing ..over the fucking roof

”Devious movements in your eyesMoved me from relief
Breath comes out white clouds with your lies
And filters through meYou're close to the final word
You're staring right past me in dismay
A liquid seeps from your chestAnd drains me away

Mist ripples round your thin white neckAnd draws me a line
Cold fingers mark this dying wreckThis moment is mine
Night falls again Taking what's left of me”


calmness before the storm


“DEVIL reveals his true voracious self to the human “

GROWLING at its best…………………

Slight twist, shivering corpse
Ornated with water, fills the cracks
Clasped in my limbs by tradition
This is all you need

…………………conquers his prey .

Do Leave ur comments

Sanblazer.



"I don't see the point of playing in a band and going just one way when you can do everything. It would be impossible for us to play just death metal; that is our roots, but we are now a mishmash of everything, and not purists to any form of music. It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going
Mikael Åkerfeldt

No comments: